Football pre-season is underway, fantasy teams are being formed, and perhaps you’re getting the urge to get out there and throw around the old pigskin yourself. Well, before football and other fall sports truly kick-in, make sure you know the signs of common sports injuries. That way you can stay healthy yourself, and make the right picks in your fantasy draft, too!
- Ankle sprains –swelling, discoloration, instability, and difficulty bearing weight
- Broken ankle – immediate, severe pain, inflammation, bruising, and inability to bear weight
- Achilles tendinitis – pain in the tendon and back of your heel, if severe tendon could be ruptured
- Turf toe – pain in the toe and joint, swelling, bruising, stiffness, loss of mobility
- Stress fracture – pain that diminishes with rest, site of injury tender to the touch
- Shin splints – soreness along the shin bone
- Plantar fasciitis – heel pain, especially first thing in the morning
- Metatarsalgia – pain in the ball of the foot
If you spot any of these symptoms of sports injuries, be sure to make an appointment with us so we can assess your injury, determine the severity, and get you on the right treatment plan! You can reach our Roselle Park office by dialing (908) 687-5757, or dial (609) 924-8333 for our Princeton location.
Of course, by taking a few precautionary measures, you might be able to stay off the injury reserve list in the first place! Warm up before activity, wear the right shoes for the sport, stop if you feel pain, and break up training with low-impact activities. (hopefully your draft picks are doing the same!)