We’re a couple of months into the New Year now, and if you had a resolution to get fit but were a little too gung-ho about it, you may be dealing with an overuse injury that’s interfering with your fitness plan. Well, not to worry you workout warriors out there – here are some tips to help you get back on track after overdoing it:
- Rest. This is a tough one, especially if you were really getting into a groove with your routine. However, taking a little time off now will mean less time off in the long run, and rest is truly essential to healing.
- Ice the injury and use anti-inflammatory medication to control swelling. Elevating your injury will help with this as well.
- Gentle stretches once the pain subsides can help to restore mobility and function.
- Don’t rush back into your routine once you’re feeling a little better. Doing too much too soon will increase your chances of the injury recurring – a gradual return to activities will make it less likely for it come back and haunt you.
- Revamp your plan to include some cross training and low-impact options, like swimming, biking, or yoga. Many overuse injuries are due to repetitive stress.
- Check out your shoes – are they worn out? Are they correct for your activity? Do they fit properly? Do they provide enough support? Making sure you have proper footwear is a key component to avoiding injuries from overdoing it. Before you get back to it, get the right shoes!
- Just as important as your shoes is your technique and form. It’s a good idea to have a gait analysis and invest in orthotics which can help keep your foot in proper position, reducing your risk of injury.
Of course, it’s best to have us assess your injury to get a correct diagnosis and ensure an appropriate treatment plan is in place. Call our Princeton office at (609) 924-8333, or contact our Roselle Park location at (908) 687-5757. We’ll help you overcome overdoing it!