Ugly holiday sweater races are popping up all over – what a great way to boost your blood flow! Not only are you cozy, warm in your sweater, but running gets your blood pumping and decreases stress levels, which encourages good circulation! That’s important for a strong heart, but also for healthy feet. You see, blood needs to travel a long way to reach your feet, so it can use all the encouragement it can get, especially when trying to deliver oxygen and nutrients needed to heal an injury.
With that in mind, here are some ways to improve circulation so you can stay healthy from head to toe:
- Exercise – if you don’t care for running any more than that ugly sweater gifted to you, just pick some other way to get moving like walking, biking, dancing or swimming.
- Eat a well-balanced, healthy diet – this will keep your cholesterol and blood pressure in check, and help you maintain a healthy weight, too. Choose leafy greens, whole grains, fruits and nuts, options low in saturated fat, and don’t be afraid of spice!
- Don’t smoke – smoking narrows your arteries which makes it tough for blood to flow through them.
- Manage stress – stress can have a negative impact on your circulation. Try to steer clear of stressful situations, meditate or sign up for that yoga class you’ve been meaning to try.
- Get a massage – no one should have to twist your arm for this one! Massage can boost your blood flow, and who doesn’t enjoy a soothing foot massage?
- Drink smart – limit alcohol and caffeine and instead drink plenty of water and try sipping some green tea.
- Soak up the benefits – a warm foot soak or a relaxing bath is good for circulation, too. Add some Epsom salt to the water for an even bigger boost.
Good circulation is a key component to staying healthy, especially those with heart problems or diabetes. Try these tips, and if you’d like more or have any questions, just give us a call! You can reach our Roselle Park, NJ office at (908) 687-5757, or contact our Princeton location at (609) 924-8333.